One of the many appeals of the paleo diet is that you can lose weight and get ripped on it. People do get it wrong thinking as long as they eat anything “paleo” that they will lose weight. BUT there are certain food groups within the paleo diet that you have to eat and hold back on some to get the results that you want. I personally know people who do the paleo diet who aren’t losing. If you are looking to lose weight or lean out, this is what you should do:
- Starches – Don’t eat too much starches (sweet potato, root vegetables, chestnuts, yams). I would actually eat starches either first thing in the morning for breakfast so the body has all day to burn it off or right after a work out to replace glycogen that your body used up. I would limit a half or whole sweet potato a day. If you want to do great, avoid it altogether.
- Nuts – As yummy and delicious nuts are, they are so calorie dense that it will prevent you from losing weight. If you want to lose weight and lean up but still eat nuts reserve yourself to one small handful a day. Again, I said one small handful If you are curious about nut butters, I’d limit 1-2 spoonful a day.
- Fruit – As nutritious fruit can be, the only downside to it is that it has sugar or frutose. Eating too much fruit can hamper your weight loss/lean goals. You should only allow yourself to eat one small portion of fruit a day which is an equivalent to 1 apple. So pick any fruit you want to eat but limit the portion size equivalent to an apple. Even body builders who gear up for their competitions will do a half of a banana every other day. See how strict they limit their fruit to lean up. You should do the same.
- Paleo Baked Goods or Sweets – Yes paleo baked goods and sweets are better digested and utilized in the body then typical baked goods using flour but even paleo chocolate chip cookies, paleo substitute candy bars, coconut ice cream can prevent you from losing weight. If you want to lose weight, I would forgo and avoid any of these. Baked goods using almond or coconut flour are so calorie dense so watch out!
- Dark Chocolate – Dark chocolate is not even paleo but it’s just a lesser evil to consume. And the dark chocolate you are suppose to eat is to be 75% or more cacao. I don’t know about you but when dark chocolate hits that high of a percentage in cacao….it taste nasty. Anyways, avoid eating dark chocolate in your pursuit of weight loss unless you are happy where you are.
Just remember, when you are eating a paleo diet it is a heavy focus on animal protein (beef, chicken, fish, pork, lamb and if you can afford it always go grass fed, wild, free range), non-starchy vegetables, and some good fats like omega 3 enriched eggs, uncured bacon, avocado, or olive oil straight up. If you really want to get specific about portion sizes get a piece of meat the size of your palm, a half cup or full cup of vegetables, and for fats use your best judgement but an equivalent to 1-2 eggs, few slices of bacon, or half or whole avocado. But remember, on the paleo diet you eat till your satisfied.
I hope this educated and helped you guys. And on a last note, if you really want to accelerate your weight loss just avoid eating the stuff mentioned above and just focus on animal protein, vegetables, and some fat and you will be well on your way.