[This is part of the "How To Like 90's Action Star" Series]
So did you get the diet down from the last post?
You did? Ok good. Let’s move on.
If you want to build a nice muscular body….
Then work out your legs!
A common mistake gym people make is that they only work out their upper body and ignore their lower body. But the fact of the matter is if you work out your legs it helps you grow muscles. Why? Because your legs comprise the largest muscle group in your body. Therefore, when you work them out it releases the most testosterone and growth hormones. It’s probably one of the best naturally ways to increase your testosterone levels.
So what leg workouts should you do?
One of the benefits of doing squats and deadlifts is that it engages multiple muscles (quads, hamstrings, gluts, core) when you work them out that it is the most efficient calorie burner. And if you were to interview body builders and ask them if they could only stick to one exercise, they would all consistently say squats.
So try this work out routine:
- Deadlifts 3-4 sets
- Squats 3-4 sets and do planks for 30-40 seconds as your active rest
- Then do a circuit of: jumping calves 10 reps, lunges 10 reps, and planks for 30-60 seconds. Do this for 3 sets.
It’s very important that when you do squats and deadlifts that you have the appropriate form.
For deadlift set up, remember to:
- Place your feet underneath the bar and the half of your foot will be on one side and half of it on the other (Watch the video below if it’s confusing).
- Have your legs hip width apart. Place your arms right by your legs.
- Grab the weight without bending your legs (if you can).
- Then bend your knees.
- Look up.
- Stick your chest out.
- Then stand up.
Here is a video of Mark Rippetoe (one of the most sought after power lifting coaches out there), talking about deadlift set up.
Here is another video of him explaining the deadlift.
Here is Mark Rippetoe explaining the squat:
Still confused about squats and deadlifts? Then check out Mark Rippetoe’s book “Starting Strength”.
Now go at it! Do paleo diet and work out your legs!